My 2017 Secret Valentine, a reversible tote bag.
Now that my Secret Valentine has received the gift I made for her I can tell you something about how I made it.
What to make?
I wrote before how exciting it is to participate in the Secret Valentine Exchange. The first thing you do after you receive your valentine is a search of what to make.
I have a board of suitable handmade gifts on Pinterest and there I found a pin of a tote bag and one of a coin purse. My mind was immediately made up as my valentine likes useful things. Also, because I really wanted to make both things for a long time. Win-win!
In my stash, I found some leftovers of upholstery fabric reflecting the favourite colours of my valentine: raspberry and rose gold. So I was all set!
How to make the tote bag?
Drawing the pattern
First, I copied the measurements of the design to tracing paper and as I was staying at our holiday home at that time—where I don’t have garment rulers— I used a plate to form the circle line.
The dimensions of the bag are good so I didn’t make any alterations.
Cutting the pattern pieces
I have cut four pieces—two out of both fabrics. Unfortunately, the board on the board fabric did not have the same position on both sides so that is why it is rather low. 1 cm of seam allowance is included.
Stitching the bag
The bag comes easily together. To do so I followed the directions of the scheme I found on Pinterest.
1) stitch all the side seams
2) stitch the bottom seam minus one opening for turning the bag to the right side
3) stitch the curves of the handles minus 5 cm on each side
4) measure 8 cm for the boxed corners, stitch and trim
5) turn the bag inside out through the opening on the bottom
6) stitch the inside bottom seam
7) pin and stitch the handles in both layers—work very strict here
8) Voilà, tote bag is finished
9) Take pictures
I also made a matching coin purse but here I had some difficulties with gluing the frame to the fabric. So there are some imperfections but isn’t that the charm of hand made gifts?