Many many moons ago, somewhere in 2013, I pinned a picture of a skirt on Pinterest. I loved it so much that I made it the front picture of my ‘Skirts Board’. Also many moons ago, in March 2014, I bought two pieces of fabric to recreate this skirt. And then this project got buried in my sewing queue…. until two weeks ago.
Then Me-Made-May 2019 came along and I created three wardrobe capsules. With my third wardrobe capsule, I gave myself a bonus: “I could replace any of the selected garments with a freshly sewed garment.” And boom! Out came the idea of sewing this Mashup Skirt out of the depths of my sewing queue!
The Mashup Skirt pattern
Although the example skirt is an A-line I decided to make a flared skirt because I love flared skirts just a tiny bit more. I used one of my oldest flare skirt patterns that I sewed already a zillion times!
The only adjustments I had to do to the pattern was to divide the front and back pattern piece in two to be able to get it out of the limited fabric I had. Only 0,5 m of each colour!!
I cut the pieces out the two fabrics to achieve an even coloured left and right side.
A scallop button placket
The one thing I had to draw myself—and alas drawing is not my strongest feature—was the scallop button placket. How did I do it? I drew a template of one scallop and used this to compose a string of scallops on tracing paper. I included an 0,75 cm (presser foot width) seam allowance. Then I had a scallop button placket pattern!
The Mashup Skirt fabric
Like I said hereabove I bought this midweight linen at the Stoff Schnäppchenmarkt in Cologne in March 2014! So this project definitely counts as a stash buster project! I bought two pieces of the same quality in two different colours. I think this helped with the success of this project. But what was I thinking when I bought only 0,5m of each colour!?!
For the button placket and waistband, I used a leftover from the curtain fabric of my Seamwork Brooklyn skirt. For the back of the button placket, I took some black lining. This reduced the thickness.
The Sewing Process
Sewing a flared skirt is rather easy. The new thing and the feature to focus on here is the scalloped button placket.
I cut out two plackets: one in fabric and one in black lining. I stitched them together using my presser foot as a guide.
Before turning the scallops I clipped and notched the curves. Then I placed the button placket between the two centre front seams. So you stitch through 4 layers of fabric. Here you experience the advantage of using lining for the back of the placket. At the inside, I graded the seams and pressed them open (two seams at each side).
The buttons have a vintage vibe but I bought them new at my local haberdashery shop. I sewed them on with my machine after stabilizing them with wonder tape at the placket.
Some sewing hickups
When you’re sewing not everything always goes as planned. Sometimes it’s the sewing gods that let you down. Sometimes you just make stupid mistakes. Both happened during sewing this rather simple skirt.
After perfectly putting in the new blind zipper it broke when I closed it for the first time!! This never happened to me before. The only thing you can do then is rip it out and put a new one in!
When I serged the hem the last scallop got to the wrong side. Totally my own fault! Not enough focus.
At first, I hemmed the skirt as narrow as I could. Remember the small pieces of fabric I had. Then, when I saw the pictures I found it a bit ridiculous to hem through half a scallop. So I cut off about 3 cm and rehemmed the skirt. This gave a much better look.
I’m SEW happy with my Mashup Skirt! I’m a little proud of myself f I or realising a design today that I had in my mind since 2014! And it came out just as I imagined. It’s been two weeks now since I finished the skirt and I already wore it a lot. It’s a pleasure wearing it and it’s suitable for many occasions.
Will I make another one? Maybe? I don’t know if I want a second or more Mashup Skirts in my wardrobe.
*** We were able to shoot some great pictures at the Pieve di San Giovanni in Campiglia Marittima. ***
6 thoughts on “The story of the Mashup Skirt”
Your new skirt is amazing! The scalloped detail and buttons are striking and set off the two tone so well. I’m so glad you have described the process and sharing as I have been admiring from afar!
Thanks for all these compliments, Nicola. And thanks for stopping by and reading my blog. xxx
Love the skirt. Your colour combination is better than the original. A lot better.
Thanks for the compliments, Marita. And thanks for passing by and reading my blog.
I like your version better than the orginal Wis. So good and thank you for sharing how you made it. xx
Thanks for reading, Suzy! xxx